Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts on the Millenium

I was sitting in a cafeteria at Edinboro University when 9/11 happened. I was eating a bagel. I remember thinking, "I can't believe this is happening". I don't mean that in the sense that most everyone else does-I'm too cynical to be thinking some lame shit like: "How can this, the greatest country in the world, be the target of such a heinous attack. Surely some godless heathens are to blame." No, what happened was actually a long time coming. (*NOTE* This is not an anti-American statement in any way, so I don't want to get any letters, e-mails, phone calls, telegrams, smoke signals, singing valentines or memos about it.) What struck me that day was the finality of it - that the World Trade Center wasn't going to be there anymore, and that (as they were first estimating a death toll around 30,000 or something) this was going to affect EVERYONE, myself included, of a personal level in some way. Anyone would agree that this was the definitive beginning to the George W. Bush presidency and what would lay the ground work for almost everything that administration did over the next seven years.

Today, I sat in another cafeteria and watched the definitive end to that administration as Barrack HUSSEIN Obama was sworn in as the 44th President.

Audacity of Hope indeed.

No comments: